As the UK's leading specialist wine retailer, we take responsible retailing of alcohol very seriously. We are committed to maximising alcohol awareness for the benefit of our customers and our employees.
- We do not sell alcohol to anyone that we believe to be intoxicated.
- We operate a Challenge 25 policy in our stores and on delivered sales, always asking for a recognised form of ID when we have reason to believe that the customer or person receiving goods may be under the age of 25.
- We do not sell alcohol to customers whom we suspect of passing alcohol to under 18s.
- We do not offer any incentives to our customers to drink irresponsibly.
- We support the Portman Group's Code of Practice regarding the responsible naming, packaging and promotion of alcoholic drinks.
- Our staff have easy access to information about alcohol by volume (ABV) and alcohol units, for customers' benefit as well as their own.
- The ABV of every alcoholic product we sell can be found in our seasonal magazine, Grape to Glass, as well as on our website and in store.
- Water or soft drinks are always available free of charge at any of our tastings.
- We encourage our customers to use spitoons during store tastings, both through clear signage at our 'Tasting Counters' and through staff example.
Leading Industry Standards
- We believe that our industry can and should work together to promote the responsible enjoyment of alcohol and that collectively, we can positively change the nation's relationship with alcohol.
- We are an active member of the Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WSTA). Our Chief Executive, Steve Lewis, is an active member of the WSTA board.
- We are a Gold Corporate Sponsor of the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET), the educating body for the wine and spirits trade.
- Every year, we sponsor the large majority of new staff through the WSET Advanced Certificate. The examination for this always covers course content on the principles of alcohol and social responsibility.
- We are a major supporter and funder of the Drinkaware trust, an independent, public-facing body with the objective of changing the UK's drinking habits for the better.
- We offer our retail customers a free in-store introduction to wine (The Wine Course), which teaches responsible tasting and enjoyment of wine, plus the correct use of spitoons.